There has been a lot of heated discussion on starboards forums and in the windsurfing community about the proposed formula one-design for the 2012 Olympics, and I'd like to have a few of my own words about it.
One of the things that I am most interested in is the debate between the RSX sailors and formula sailors that seems to be evolving into a battle. RSX sailors are arguing that taking away the pumping aspect of racing is taking away the Olympic worthiness of the sport because you have to be in optimum physical condition to compete at this sort of 0 mph wind level. Frankly to be modest, this argument is a little self absorbed. I don't blame them for being discouraged because i know they all have worked very hard to reach their physical ability, and i respect them for that. What they have lost site of is; The Olympics is about being COMPETITIVE not being a super human.
Yes, some sports in order to be competitive you need to be in optimum physical shape, but windsurfing is a sailing sport not power lifting, marathon running, or a triathlon. Sailing is about using the wind in a strategic way to work your way around a course and beet your opponents. You don't see World Cup Sailing boats crews pumping their sails to get around a course do you? no.. If the wind is 0 mph you shouldn't be sailing that defeats the purpose. If they want it to be about physical ability invent Stand Up Paddle board racing and go race SUP boards. Lets also not take to much away from formula racing, it is still very physically demanding and your average joe can't just hop on a board go race and not be in any kind of shape. You still need to be in good shape, just not pumping around a race course shape.
Anyone ever heard of the Winter Olympic sport curling? Well if you haven't, it involved sliding a rock across an ice strip and getting it as close to a target as you can, to put it in vague terms. You can't tell me those guys are in optimum physical condition, they can eat doughnuts and do what ever the heck they want. What it does require is a lot of practice, finesse, and a COMPETITIVE drive, that is what competing is about, and that is why curling is in the Olympics. Another couple examples are bowling and archery same kind of idea. RSX racers are basically saying these kind of sports should be thrown out of the Olympics because they do not require being a super human.
I personally have been an athlete my entire life, and up until recently I have been in very good shape. I have been playing sports since I was 4 years old. I started in both football and lacrosse in high school, and I was an NCAA div. 2 lacrosse player (and yes i started in college too). Over the years while playing some of these sports I have learned the biggest toughest guy isn't always the best out there. The best is the person who focuses completely on being the best at what they do by practicing, doing what it takes and having a winning mentality. Physical ability does help you, but it is not everything. It comes down to how bad do you want it? and how hard are you going to work for it? narrowing it down to just how good of shape you are in isn't the answer, and RSX racers should no better than that because they all have worked very hard.
Monday, May 5, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

4 comments:
A professional formula sailor who posts on a blog called carbonsugar makes a good point about this. He would like to see formula sailing in the olympics but not one design. he would like to see one board a couple rigs and a couple fins. This makes sense to me to even out weight differences and sailing styles, also picking the right gear is also a skill. go to any launch and see the differences in sail and board sizes.
Hardcrab,
I am new to formula myself, but i know enough about windsurfing to know that this is a very true point. The one design theory needs to be re-thought. The only thing i like about the one design is that it puts everyone on the same playing field and in the end know one can say that the other person had better gear. everyone at a different wind speed will have an advantage at some point heavier sailors in high wind lighter sailors in low wind. I personally would rather see a one design formula than no formula at all
John- Right on, dude! I totally agree about the pumping thing.
Hardcrab- I think the equipment for the Olympics definitely needs to be one design. Otherwise the competition would be decided more by what kind of gear your country can afford than how good a sailor you are. However, whether the Olympic one design gear includes one versus two sails is another question, which could be argued both ways. I'm not going to "go there" right now. :)
john, agree about the one design thing for racing.
Call me nuts, but I think they should have olympic freestyle windsurfing. If we want to get captivating attention for the sport, that would rule. Heck, skiing and snowboarding do it... "style" sports are not out of the question...
Post a Comment