Tuesday, June 3, 2008

First day off: SKUNKED

So, yesterday was my first day off from work in 3 weeks, and i decided to take the opportunity to make the 3 hour drive south to windsurf and see my girlfriend. I checked the wind forecasts the night before and between 8 am-12 pm it was supposed to be blowing 12-15; perfect for formula. I left from my house in Northern Virginia at 9:30 that night and arrived at 1 am, ready to wake up in the morning and get some much needed windsurfing in.

The next morning I woke up excited and packed up my car to head out at 8 am. I decided to head to willoughby bay because I was going to be sailing by myself. This turned out to be a big mistake. The wind direction was NNW which sucks for Willoughby, it is off shore and the land acts as a huge wind shadow. I didn't know where else to go, so I decided to take my chances that there was wind out in the middle. Turned out I made the wrong decision

When I got out there it was very leisurely sailing with little gusts that weren't even enough to get me planing. I did get 2 brief 10-15 second planing runs, but not enough to satisfy me. Maybe if I was able to rig my 10.9 sail i would have had a much better time, but an 8.5 was all I had. It was nice to get out on the water at least even though I didn't get my thrills. I also saw dolphins again which was kind of cool. I'm beginning to wonder if the same dolphins swim into willoughby bay daily to feed because i saw dolphins in there a month or so back as well. After about an hour of putting around I decided to cut my losses and go home. I spent the rest of the day hanging out with my Girlfriend, Lindsay, and i ended up having a good time anyway.


what happened to me---->

7 comments:

James Douglass said...

Did you wear tennis shoes and tube socks like that when you were sailing? Maybe that's why you got skunked.

PS- I've still got a 520 mast if you decide you want it for your 10.9.

John said...

ya i think i am going to take you up on that i want to use that sail lol

Catapulting Aaron said...

skunking happens :(

Hope you've gotten a sesh or two in since then...

John said...

sadly i haven't, iv been working my ass off =(

PeconicPuffin said...

I should trade you...I've got too much time off right now.

Bro is there any chance you can lighten the color of your text a bit? My beady little bird eyes have trouble reading your windsurfing prose.

Being a bird has its limitations...

Paul Richardson said...

Darn! John, if you ever get a little time off, feel free to drop me a line. You can bring your girlfriend, stay in our guest room and windsurf Gloucesterfarian style until your heart's content!

John said...

that would be awesome man except i haven't had any time off i haven't windsurfed in like a month. i can't wait until im back at school i'll defintly be giving you a call